I've still been thinking about our first class of the semester, and how the Scouts apparently have such an old-fashioned, laughable image in the UK. How very sad. I suppose that it may have a bit of the same kind of image in the States, but in a good, nostalgic kind of way, and the thing that is most attractive about the Scouts in my area is the camping/outdoors aspect. I suppose it's the whole "rugged individualist" culture of Texas they try to inculcate in its children...? While I admit that I do know a few people who don't like camping that did grow up in Texas (gasp!), it's just one of those things that everyone does for a cheap, fun vacation.
I was also thinking about the leaders themselves in my community...most of them are mom/dads whose children are in the troop or religious leaders who start a troop with the children in their churches. That's why I mentioned in class that you might recruit seminary students. I don't think that means the Scouts would be embracing a specific religion, but rather just matching their strengths with that of another group, as most future church leaders tend to enjoy working with children or youths. But since it was brought up that the Scouts aren't into religion, I thought I'd include the following, which is part of the UK Scouting Association's Policies:
Policy: The Religious Policy of the Association
The Scout Movement includes members of many different forms of religion. The following policy has received the approval of the heads of the leading religious bodies in the United Kingdom.
All Members of the Movement are encouraged to :
- Make every effort to progress in the understanding and observance of the Promise to do their best to do their duty to God.
- belong to some religious body
- carry into daily practice what they profess
If a Group is composed of members of several denominations or religions, the Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts or Venture Scouts should be encouraged to attend services of their own form of religion.
Anyway, as was discussed in class, though, I feel that the idea of recruiting new volunteer leaders based on the idea that it will improve their cv or that it is in line with their future careers is a better idea than aligning the Scouts with extreme watersports.I mean, I see the logic that it would attract a wider range of students to volunteer as troop leaders, but the thing is...extreme sports are not something that children of the Scouting age can generally legally participate in. Okay, surfing, yes...that is actually a badge available in the UK, I looked it up. Diving? Well, maybe, because you can be certified at 10 years old, so maybe that could be a new badge the whole troop could earn together, but it couldn't be for the younger kids. Canyoning and all those other things listed, though...that might attract student volunteers who are into extreme sports, but how many parents are going to want their children going for these activities? And they don't exist in the Scout badge book, which is the purpose of most activities in Scouting, so the whole book would have to be updated to reflect a new focus on extreme watersports. I just don't find it very feasible. Maybe surfing and diving, but I think the rest would be out. And just so we're clear, I looked up all the adventure badges currently available in the UK, and here they are:
Adventure activities:
Climbing, Hill walking, Hiking, Explore a town or area you don't know, Orienteering, Plan and undertake a journey by public transport, Caving or pot holing, Pony trekking or horse riding, Cycling, Sailing, Canoeing, Water-skiing, Surfing, Dragon boating, Bellboating, Sub-aqua, Canal boating, Rafting, Pulling, Gliding, Powered aircraft, Hovercrafting, Stunt kiting, Hot air ballooning, Paragliding
Hovercrafting and hot air ballooning...how cool!! Well, perhaps you could use the adventure aspect to attract new Scout leaders, but I think it would be misguided to focus on extreme sports, especially when there are some pretty kickin' adventure activities already in the Scout guide. However, I think it would be a better public relations effort to recruit Scout leaders based on the future career goals of uni students than attracting them with sports not even in the handbook yet. At the end of the day, there are not too many people who enjoy working with kids...so you would need to find the ones who do and target them. That's the number one reaction I get when I tell people about working at a summer camp--it's not laughter, it's not 'oh man what a loser job'--it's more like 'are you crazy? I could never work with kids...more power to you!'. I think that's the attitude you really need to conquer.

No comments:
Post a Comment